M. (1) 15 Jan 1838 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Husband: John Baird (or Beard)
M. (2) 15 Jun 1842 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Husband: Charles W. Hughes
D. 14 Dec 1888 in Boston, Massachusetts
Maria Bevan's heritage was entirely from the southwest of England. She was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia on October 5, 1820 to Job Bevan and Rebecca Pepperell, the first of their eight children. Job, who was born in Bath, had migrated only a couple of years earlier as a member of the Royal Artillery, and Rebecca had moved with her family from Wiltshire in 1809. Maria's parents were only in Halifax a short time and soon moved to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, near Rebecca's family.
When Maria was only 17, she married a man named John Beard or Baird, who seems to have died within a couple years. On June 15, 1842, she married a man named Charles Hughes, who, like her father, came from England as member of the Royal Artillery. They moved to Frederictown, New Brunswick, where oldest son Charles was born. Maria's husband ended his military service in 1846 and they moved back to Charlottetown. There she had four more children: Augusta, Bessie, George and James.
For a time Maria worked as a servant along with her husband. Then in 1857, the family entered the U.S. on a ship into Boston. There is a photo of Maria wearing a hoop skirt, taken during the time the Hughes family was in Boston.
Maria in about 1857
Within a year, the family relocated to Whitewater, Wisconsin, where youngest child, Gertrude, was born. Charles died sometime between 1860 and 1864 and Maria returned to Charlottetown where she was listed in an 1864 city directory. Her sons Charles and George moved back to Boston, and during the early 1870's, Maria moved there as well. She was listed in the Boston city directory for the years 1876-1878 living with some of her children.
Maria as an older woman
Maria died of bronchitis in Boston in on December 14, 1888. Her family buried her in Mt. Hope Cemetery with a gravestone that simply says, "Mother."
1. Charles William Hewes – B. 20 May 1845, Fredericton, New Brunswick; D. 24 Nov 1872, Boston, Massachusetts; M. Charlotte Elisa Pippy (1846-1923), 12 Aug 1867, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
2. Caroline Augusta Hughes – B. 22 May 1847, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; D. 26 Jan 1889, Boston, Massachusetts; M. Henry T. Matifes (1847-?), 21 Sep 1867, Boston, Massachusetts
3. Elizabeth Matilda Hughes – B. 25 Sep 1849, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; D. 16 Nov 1937, Los Angeles, California; M. Edwin G. Bentham (~1845-1928), 6 Jan 1868, Boston, Massachusetts
4. George Henry Hewes – B. 17 Oct 1853, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; D. 18 Sep 1923, Tujunga, California; M. Nancy Sophia French (1856-1916), 17 Jul 1879, Boston, Massachusetts
5. James Job Hewes – B. 27 Aug 1855, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; D. 19 Oct 1935, Winchester, Massachusetts; M. Emma R. Tirrel (~1857-?), 5 Jun 1883, Boston, Massachusetts
6. Gertrude E. Hewes – B. 6 Aug 1859, Whitewater, Wisconsin; D. 10 Oct 1916, Los Angeles, California; M. (1) Charles A. Fernald (~1853-1910), 25 Dec 1876, Boston, Massachusetts; (2) Alfred R. Phillips (~1866-?), 19 Sep 1895, Boston, Massachusetts
Baptismal record of Maria Bevan, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 5 Nov 1820
Records of Prince Edward Island Heritage Foundation
Military records of Charles Hughes, 5 Mar 1846, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Baptismal record of Charles Hughes, Fredericton, New Brunswick, 8 Jun 1845
Records of St. Paul's Anglican Church, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Passenger list of ship Dr. Rogers, Boston, Massachusetts, 30 May 1857
1860 and 1880 U.S. Census, Wisconsin and Massachusetts
1864 City Directory for Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
City Directories for Boston, 1876-1878
Death certificate of Maria Hughes, Boston, Massachusetts, 14 Dec 1888
Tombstone inscription of Maria Hughes
Letter from Charles Hall, 28 Mar 1982, Riverside, Rhode Island
Death certificate of Charlotte Hewes, 25 Aug 1923, Medford, Massachusetts
Massachusetts marriages, 1841-1915
California death index, 1905-1939
Death certificate of Elizabeth Bentham, 17 Nov 1937, Los Angeles, California
Family bible of George H. Hewes
Death certificate of George Hewes, 20 Sep 1923, Tujunga, California
Marriage certificate of George Hewes and Nancy French, 21 Jul 1879, Boston, Massachusetts
Death certificate of Nancy Hewes, July 1916, Berkeley, California
Massachusetts deaths, 1841-1915
Death record of Gertrude E. Phillips, 12 Oct 1916, Los Angeles, California