B. about 1638 in La Rochelle, France
M. (1) about 1666 in Port-Royal, Acadia
Wife: Jeanne Bernard
M. (2) October 1683 in Quebec
Wife: Marie-Madeleine Martin
D. about 1693 (probably) in Chignecto, Acadia
Emigrated: about 1666
By virtue of living in Acadia, Guyon Chiasson dit La Vallée started a family that would end up in far flung places all over North America. Guyon was born in about 1638 in La Rochelle, France to Pierre Chiasson and Marie Péroché. He was one of five children. In about 1666, Guyon migrated to Acadia and settled at Port-Royal. There he married Jeanne Bernard. Between 1667 and 1680, they had eight children.
Guyon spent some of the early years of his marriage at Mouchecoudabouet, which is near what is now Halifax, Nova Scotia. Around 1675, he is said to have gone to Quebec, then back to Acadia to reside in Chignecto, where Jeanne died in about 1682. Guyon returned to Quebec and married Marie-Madeleine Martin in October 1683. They moved back to Chignecto and had four daughters together. Guyon died in about 1693 at the age of 55.
Guyon's 12 children gave him many descendants and they were affected by the instability of the Acadian colony. It was an isolated place, not on the major shipping lane into Quebec, and vulnerable to takeover by other European interests. The British took over the colony in 1710. Most Acadians were defiant and chose not to swear allegiance to the British; therefore, they were subject to being forced out of their land. Some of Guyon's family went to Quebec, others to places near Acadia: New Brunswick and Île St.-Jean (what is now Prince Edward Island). Those who stayed on in Acadia until the deportations of the 1750s were forcibly moved to Louisiana and South Carolina, and one descendant even went to Haiti.
Famous descendants of Guyon Chiasson dit La Vallée include Céline Dion.
Children by Jeanne Bernard:
1. Gabriel Chiasson dit La Vallée – B. about 1667, Acadia; D. Apr 1741, Chignecto, Acadia; M. Marie Savoie, 1688, Beaubassin, Acadia
2. Françiose Chiasson – B. 1668, Acadia; D. 17 Jan 1724, St-Thomas, Quebec; M. Pierre Morin (~1662-1741), 8 Nov 1682, Beaubassin, Acadia
3. Sébastien Chiasson – B. about 1670, Acadia; D. Chignecto, Acadia; M. Marie Belou, about 1693, Chignecto, Acadia
4. Jean Giasson – B. about 1674, Acadia; D. Jan 1719, Montreal, Quebec; M. Marie-Anne Lemoyne, Nov 1697, Batiscan, Quebec
5. Michel Chiasson – B. about 1676, Beaubassin, Acadia; D. Mar 1759, Montmagny, Quebec; M. Marguerite Mourier, 1706, St-Jean, Île d'Orléans, Quebec
6. Marie Chiasson – B. 1678, Beaubassin, Acadia; M. Michel Poirier, 1692, Acadia
7. Anne Chiasson dit La Vallée – B. 1680, Beaubassin, Acadia; M. Jean Brault, 1700, Port-Royal, Acadia
Children by Marie-Madeleine Martin:
1. Angelique Chiasson – B. Oct 1684, Beaubassin, Acadia; M. Pierre Cardet, 1702, Acadia
2. Genevieve Chiasson – B. 1685
3. Marie-Madeleine Chiasson – B. 1691; D. 1739; M. (1) Jean Pothier, 1709, Acadia; (2) Joseph De La Foresterie, 1726, Acadia
4. Anne Chiasson – B. 1693; M. Jean Pineau, 1710
Dictionnaire Genealogique des Familles Acadiennes, Stephen A. White, 1999
Acadians in Gray [website]
GeneaStar: Famous Family Tree and Genealogy [website]