M. 7 Mar 1649 in Amsterdam, Holland
Wife: Catherina Margetts
D. 1672 in Flatbush, New York
Emigrated: about 1650
During the 17th century, Adrian Hegeman resided in the heart of present-day Brooklyn, and is still honored there today. He was born in Elburg, Holland in about 1624, the son of Reverend Hendrick Hegeman. By 1649, Adrian worked as a silk weaver and lived on Egelantier Street in Amsterdam. On March 7, 1649, he married Catharina Margetts, the daughter of an Englishman. They had eight children who were born between 1651 and 1665.
Where Adrian lived in the Netherlands
In about 1650, Adrian moved his family to the Dutch colony in America. They resided in New Amsterdam in 1653. Then in April 1661, Adrian purchased land in Flatbush. He became a prominent person in the area. During his lifetime, he acquired more than 350 acres of land and became the largest property owner in Flatbush. He was a magistrate there in 1654-58, 1660 and 1663. He was secretary and schout (sheriff) of the five towns of Kings County in various years between 1659 and 1671.
Adrian also helped to establish the Flatbush Reformed Dutch Church and School. A bronze plaque honoring him as a teacher is attached to Erasmus Hall High School in the general area of where the old school once stood. A public elementary school is also named in his honor in the vicinity of where his farm and homestead were located.
Plaque on school in Flatbush honoring Adrian
Adrian died in Flatbush in 1672 at the age of 48. He was buried in the cemetery of the church he helped found.
1. Hendricus Hegeman – B. about 1649, Amsterdam, Netherlands; D. about 1710; M. Ariaentje Bloodgood, 26 Apr 1685, Flatlands, New York
2. Joseph Hegeman – B. about 1651, Amsterdam, Netherlands; D. about 1725; Femmetje Van der Beeck (1657-?), 21 Oct 1677
3. Jacobus Hegeman – B. about 1652; D. about 1741; M. Jannetje Ariens, 14 Oct 1683
4. Isaac Hegeman – B. about 1656, New Netherland; M. Marytje Roelofse Schenck, 15 Feb 1687
5. Denys Hegeman – B. about 1658, Flatbush, New Netherland; D. about 1702; M. Grace Dollen (1659-1732)
6. Benjamin Hegeman – B. about 1660, Flatbush, New Netherland
7. Abraham Hegeman – B. about 1662, Flatbush, New Netherland
8. Elizabeth Hegeman – B. about 1665, Flatbush, New York; M. Tobias Ten Eyck, 12 Apr 1684
Early Settlers of Kings County, Teunis Bergen,1881
The Bergen Family, Teunis Bergen, 1876, p. 406
Marriage record of Adrian Hegeman and Catharina Margetts, 1649
Genealogy website of John Blythe Dobson, which cites many sources