B. about Sep 1627 in Mortagne-au-Perche, France
M. about 1649 in France
Wife: Pasquiére Lefebvre
D. after 1699
Charles Turgeon was born about September 1627 in Mortagne-au-Perche, France, which was in Orne. He had two brothers and three sisters. In about 1649, Charles married Pasquiére Lefebvre. Between 1650 and 1670, they had ten children.
Charles and his family arrived in Quebec in the summer of 1662. They settled in Beauport and were listed on the 1667 census as having 10 arpents of land under cultivation. On December 9, 1669, Charles purchased 40 arpents of land paying 200 livres in cash and 25 “in pots of wine.” He was also involved in a transaction in 1670 for land in France belonging to Toussaint Giroux.
In 1677, Charles was convicted for offenses against his neighbor, a man named Jacques Marie; he had taken wood from his land, removed the boundary line stake and “removed the cap from the head of the said Marie and then gave the offended party a number of blows with a stick.” For this Charles was fined 20 livres and jailed for 8 days. He had another run-in with a man named Jean de Rainville in 1681. They came to blows and Charles caused some injury to the man, although in turn de Rainville broke Charles’ gun. They settled their differences out of court.
Several years later, in 1689, the two were at odds again when Charles was orderd by the court to “use the large path to go from the village of Saint-Joseph to the meadowlands of Fargy or Beauport.” Apparently, he had been trespassing on de Rainville’s property.
Charles and Pasquiére returned to France in November 1691 and she may have died there. It is believed that Charles came back to Quebec before his son Pierre’s marriage in 1695 and died between 1699 and 1704.
1. Jeanne Turgeon – B. Jul 1650, Perche, France; D. 18 Jul 1650, Perche, France
2. Marie-Claire Turgeon – B. about Sep 1651, Perche, France; D. 20 Aug 1711, Quebec City, Quebec; M. Abel Sagot dit Laforge (~1639-1714), 15 Oct 1665, Quebec City, Quebec
3. Jacques Turgeon – B. Sep 1653, Perche, France; D. Dec 1728, Beaumont, Quebec; M. Marie-Jean Vien (~1676-?), 26 Nov 1704, Beamont, Quebec
4. Françoise Turgeon – B. about Nov 1656, Perche, France; D. Apr 1657, Perche, France
5. Anne Turgeon – B. about Aug 1658, Perche, France; D. 15 Apr 1725, Quebec City, Quebec
6. Michel Turgeon – B. about Sep 1661, Perche, France; D. probably young
7. Zacharie Turgeon – B. 7 May 1664, Quebec City, Quebec; D. Jul 1743, Beauport, Quebec; M. Elisabeth Roy, 24 Oct 1691, Beauport, Quebec
8. Pierre Turgeon – B. 19 Oct 1666, Beauport, Quebec; D. Feb 1667, Quebec City, Quebec
9. Pierre Turgeon – B. about 1669; D. 9 Nov 1699, Quebec City, Quebec; M. Marie-Anne Carrier (1674-?), 16 Nov 1695, Lauzon, Levis, Quebec
10. Jean Turgeon – B. about May 1670, Quebec City, Quebec; D. Oct 1749, Beauport, Quebec; M. Anne-Therese Vachon, 8 Nov 1691, Beauport, Quebec
Our French-Canadian Ancestors, Gerard Lebel (translated by Thomas J. Laforest), 1990